No Leaks for Brooke and Ryan's Misbehaving!
Yeah! Brooke had her test done this morning to insure her surgically repaired esophagus/stomach didn't have any leaks. The doctors had warned us that leaks were very common for this type of surgery so not to be alarmed if there were any. I was able to go into the room with her while they did her procedure. It's amazing how they transport babies to/from the NICU. There is a "Stat Team" that picks her up and transports Brooke with all of her machines to Pediatric Radiology. Once there, they are responsible for transferring the equipment (and Miss Brooke) to the table where the procedure is done. The team was wonderful! I then stood behind the glass while they fed her a water-soluble solution through a "McGyver type" pacifier that feeds the solution down her throat into her stomach. I prayed so hard that there weren't any leaks and it worked! She did so great! We got back to the NICU and her awesome surgical team said her chest tube could come out (placed in her side incision during surgery) and they would start feeding her 1 cc of breast milk/hour via her nasal tube to get her started on real food! I hope we've now turned the page and she can heal and come home soon! She still amazes me at how strong she's been through the past ten days. What an amazing start to an amazing life she'll have! I keep telling her there are a lot of shopping trips with mommy coming up so she needs to get better soon :-)
While we were there this morning with Brooke the doctors made their rounds and decided that Ryan could go home today! We would need to come back later to pick him up so we hurried home so we could take Jack to his first pediatricians appointment. He passed with flying colors...I love his pediatrician, Dr. Burrows! Jack was a big hit with all of the ladies at the doctors office. They have been anxiously awaiting their arrival and were excited to see the first baby to come home!
When we got home, we received a call from the NICU saying that Ryan decided not to cooperate today with his feeding and wasn't taking his shift minimum, so they wanted to give him another day to get back on track with feedings. So our excitement was tempered a little but we decided it's best for him to get stronger at the hospital rather than coming home and having to go back. We'll see what tomorrow brings...hopefully he's home safe and sound with Jack and Kyle tomorrow. Then we'll anxiously await Brooke's homecoming. And all will be right with the world.
Uncle Brian (my brother) is flying in tomorrow to see all of his new niece/nephews. We can't wait to see him! Jack and I are off to bed now...hopefully we'll have good news about Ryan's homecoming tomorrow and Brooke continues to improve.
And I won my fantasy football this week against my big nemasis, Happyfeetz. Only my second win of the season but a good one :-) I told my friend Ed if I beat him, I might just change the name of my child to Happyfeetz. Too bad we already sent away for their birth certificates!

2 Comments:
Yea, Brooke! What a good girl. Now, that Ryan...he seems like a trouble maker...
Monica
So happy to hear that Brooke's surgery was a success. Must be such a relief for everyone. Now Ryan just needs to get back on track with the feeding so you can fill yet another crib. Glad to hear Jack's exam was perfect. I'm confident the Logan family will be all home before Thaksgiving for sure. As always are thoughts and prayers are with you all back in Michigan. Love to you all, Diane and Fred
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home